Major Uncertainties Hits Dallas Stars

Heiskanen’s Playoff Return Uncertain

With the NHL playoffs fast approaching, the Dallas Stars remain uncertain about the availability of their top defenseman for the opening round.

Miro Heiskanen has been sidelined since undergoing knee surgery on Feb. 4, and according to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, his return timeline remains unclear.

The 25-year-old defenseman has tallied five goals and 25 points in 50 games this season while leading the Stars in average ice time at 25:09 per game.

“He had knee surgery on Feb. 4, and at the time, the team projected a three-to-four-month recovery period,” LeBrun said Tuesday on Insider Trading. “This Friday marks two months since the procedure, and his return could range from Game 1 of the playoffs to the end of the first round. That gap is significant for the Stars, who are currently slated to face the Colorado Avalanche in what feels like a Conference Final-caliber matchup.

“Getting Heiskanen back, given his role as the team’s ice-time leader, would be a huge boost, but they simply don’t know when he’ll be ready.”

Seguin Returns to the Ice

In more encouraging news for Dallas, forward Tyler Seguin took part in practice Wednesday, wearing a non-contact jersey.

Seguin underwent hip surgery in December and was initially given a recovery timeline of four to six months.

Seguin’s Season Before Surgery

Before undergoing surgery, the 33-year-old veteran had a strong start to the season, tallying nine goals and 20 points in 19 games. Now in his 12th season with the Dallas Stars and 15th in the NHL, Seguin is coming off a 52-point campaign (25 goals, 27 assists) in 68 games last year—his highest point total since posting 80 in 2018-19.

The Brampton, Ontario, native is currently in the sixth year of an eight-year, $78.8 million contract, which carries an average annual value of $9.85 million. A six-time All-Star, Seguin is set to become an unrestricted free agent following the 2026-27 season.

Stars Continue Central Division Push

Dallas is riding a six-game win streak and remains focused on overtaking the Winnipeg Jets for the top spot in the Central Division, aiming to avoid a first-round matchup with the Colorado Avalanche.

“We’re still trying to chase down Winnipeg,” Stars head coach Pete DeBoer said after Monday’s 3-1 victory over the Seattle Kraken. “We’re likely going to need to win almost every night to have a shot, and that’s our group’s goal.”

The Stars gained an advantage Tuesday as the Jets fell 4-1 to the Los Angeles Kings, giving Dallas a game in hand while staying four points behind Winnipeg.

If the Stars secure the top spot in the division, they would face the second wild-card team in the opening round—currently the Minnesota Wild, who are one point behind the St. Louis Blues with a game in hand. The winner of a projected second-round series between the Jets and Avalanche would then await them.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*