
North Dakota State wrapped up its second week of spring practice Friday.
FARGO – North Dakota State head coach Tim Polasek is set to deliver one of his signature speeches at a major event this weekend, as he has been invited to serve as a keynote speaker at the University of Nebraska’s football clinic.
“I interviewed for the offensive line position at Nebraska three years ago with head coach Matt Rhule, which led to me helping NDSU at summer camps,” Polasek shared. “I’ve reached out to many people about being available for speaking engagements, which can help generate funds for our programs that benefit our players. Additionally, being in a recruiting area is a bonus.”
The Bison have concluded two weeks of spring practice, but they have also seen two new additions depart the team. Cornerback Jalon Peoples and defensive tackle Mason Wilson are no longer part of the program.
Sources indicate that Peoples, who previously played at Texas Tech, wanted to move closer to his hometown. Wilson, a former starter from Minnesota Duluth and native of Oakdale, Minn., has been dealing with concussion issues that may end his football career.
“We received some unfortunate news about Mason; he had some previous concussion concerns that were cleared,” Polasek said. “He’s experiencing some symptoms now and is worried, so we’re going to support him as he finishes the semester and then he will exit the program.”
Both players were added to the Bison roster to provide depth in their respective positions. Polasek mentioned that they plan to explore the transfer portal once it opens on April 16, especially with the anticipated reduction of Power Five rosters to 105 players, which is expected to result in a surplus of talented athletes.
Some players are returning to practice after extended absences. Senior running back Owen Johnson is back on the field after missing 16 months due to a knee injury sustained during a game against North Dakota in October 2023, which involved a torn ACL, LCL, popliteal ligament, and a grade two PCL sprain.
“I feel ready to pick up right where I left off,” Johnson said. “I was working out with the freshmen all last season, which helped me physically prepare. This injury has made me appreciate everything more. For this spring ball, it’s about getting comfortable again. I might be a little rusty, but I feel good. I just want to focus on what I need to improve for the summer workouts.”
Johnson is currently listed as third on the running back depth chart, behind Barika Kpeenu and Marty Brown. Freshman Myles “Money” Mitchell made a strong impression during the open media session, and it will be interesting to see how Polasek incorporates Mitchell into the lineup this coming season.
Regarding the linebacker position, Polasek noted that NDSU will not have the same depth as last season due to the graduations of Nick Kubitz, Luke Weerts, and Marcus Gulley.
“I’m not sure we’ll ever match the depth we had last year at linebacker,” Polasek remarked.
He mentioned that Nathaniel Staehling is recovering well from shoulder surgery that kept him out for most of 2024. Although he won’t be cleared for full contact for another week or so, Polasek expressed optimism about junior Austin Altepeter, who has shown strong performance in recent practices.
On the offensive line, Beau Johnson has caught Polasek’s attention.
“I told Beau, I’m really excited about you,” Polasek said.
He also expressed encouragement regarding junior Devin Lockerby’s progress at both guard and tackle, and he has taken notice of Moorhead’s Austin Schultz for his toughness.
Several players are currently sitting out of drills, including Logan Kopp, Enock Sibomana, and Ray James from the linebacker group. Wide receiver RaJa Nelson is also not participating due to a painful injury he dealt with for most of last season, and redshirt freshman defensive end Matthew Stenbroten is also sidelined.
RECRUITING UPDATE
Several 2026 recruits were present at the indoor practice facility on Friday to observe the practice. The Bison have secured two commitments for the 2026 class and are closely watching Casselton’s Aiden Wunderlich. The 6-foot-6, 270-pound offensive line prospect received his seventh Division I offer from South Dakota State on Friday. Sources report that he visited the NDSU campus on Thursday, indicating a competitive race for his commitment.
#AGTG After a great visit at @NDSUfootball I am honored to say that I have received an offer to play for the National Champs! Thank you @CoachTimNDSU for believing in me! #rollherd @FBCoachLarson @MisterLilly pic.twitter.com/AAXL4QwN8H
— Brooks Bakko (@BakkoBrooks) April 5, 2025
NDSU made a scholarship offer on Friday to Kindred sophomore Brooks Bakko, who is Central Cass’ biggest rival. The 6-foot-4 Bakko, a recruit from the class of 2027, recently hit the game-winning shot for the Vikings at the Class A basketball tournament. Earlier this week, he also received a football offer from the University of Minnesota.
When asked last month about which sport he plans to pursue in college, Bakko said, “I haven’t decided yet; I want to see how the recruiting process goes for both sports. I’ll choose whichever one I feel more comfortable with and which opportunity is the best fit for me.”
Bakko received a basketball offer from the University of North Dakota last year and currently holds three Division I football offers.
Leave a Reply